Thursday, March 20, 2008

There Is A Green Hill Far Away...


This Monday, as most of the world knows, was St. Patrick's Day.

Most of the world knows because most of the world celebrates. Even here, in our quiet corner of Australia, Paddy's Day is massive.

Paddy's, Albury's aptly named Irish bar, had a bumper day to say the very least. Me and the wife turned up at tea-time to find the place bursting at the seams, awash with shamrock-clad punters swilling the Guinness as if it were 1999. They had pipe bands, Irish dancing and even a lifelike leprechaun. Green was very much the new black.

I've long since envied the way other nationalities embrace Ireland's national day. Surely no other country in the world shares the Emerald Isle's global popularity.

Without dredging up the past, I haven't always viewed Irish Culture in such a positive light. During my time in the armed forces, certain elements of the island's inhabitants and it's sympathisers regarded me and my mates as their enemy, and we regarded them likewise. Paddy's Day was never circled on our calenders.

Fortunately for us all, things are different now. Age old problems seem to be easing and, besides, age old problems certainly have no place in a new land.

So, for the first time, we joined in this years revelry and felt more than comfortable doing so. And why not? I do get asked which part of Ireland I'm from at least twice a week anyway!

In other news, we head off to Sydney tomorrow to spend the Easter weekend there. We plan to spend some time at the beaches, probably Manly, Coogee and, of course, Bondi. Hopefully, I will also get realise one of my sporting dreams as South Sydney are playing the Bulldogs tomorrow night and I might just be there. Wife permitting, of course.

We had hoped to visit the southern New South Wales coast but couldn't get digs anywhere. Unbeknown to us newbies, Easter is a time when everyone seems to head off somewhere and you need to book well in advance for accommodation in popular spots.

A bit like Christmas, I think Easter is viewed by most Aussies as a chance to getaway and enjoy a few days off work, rather than for it's religious overtones.

I'll be sparing a thought for our saviour though, and my favourite passage from the good book is never far from my thoughts at this time of year.

If my memory serves me well, it goes a bit like this;

The soldier, kneeling before him, did spake unto Christ. With fair mind, in kindly tones and with compassion, he did say unto him;

'Put your feet together please mate, we've only got one nail left!'

Happy Easter folks.

No comments: