Thursday, December 27, 2007

Field Of Dreams

Christmas has been good so far. Having the folks here has made all the difference.

Me and dad had a traditional Christmas lunchtime drink with fellow expats Glyn and Alun followed by Christmas lunch at home with all the trimmings. We rounded the day off with a pool party at Dave and Karen's house, around the corner from our own.

Boxing Day saw us visit Wodonga races. My luck was in as I backed the winner in the first three races. I lost the final three, but still ended up even-stevens overall.

We're in Melbourne at the moment. The girls have been to St. Kilda beach while me and dad have spent the day at the Melbourne Cricket Ground watching the test match between Australia and India.

The 'G', as it's affectionately known, is an awesome sporting arena and a must-see for any sports fan. Dad had his photo taken with the statues of Dennis Lillee and The Don himself, Sir Donald Bradman.

Being at a test match was a first for both of us and although it was a relatively ordinary days play it was still an unforgettable experience to be there, especially with the old man, who's a lifelong cricket fan.

I have fond childhood memories of watching cricket with him, as he explained the games intricacies to me as a young boy. I recall sitting cross-legged in front of the telly in our lounge in Winchester, watching some of the games greats like Lillee, Thomson, Richards, Lloyd and Boycott, with my dad in the armchair behind me.

Today, we were at the 'G' watching modern day greats Tendulkar, Hayden, Kumble and Lee.

The place and the names may have changed, but it was still me and my dad watching the cricket.

No comments: