Wednesday, July 23, 2008

G.I. 11


July 23rd is a date that will be etched on my mind for time eternal.

On this day one year ago, myself, Pauline and the girls, flew to Australia, embarking on the biggest and most exciting adventure of our lives. A year on, we're all well and enjoying the challenges and rewards of life down under.

On this day two years ago, Gary Dyson, Mark Davies, Russ Jones, Ray Shackleton and I completed the 'Three Peaks Challenge'. Namely, climbing to the summits of Ben Nevis in Scotland, Scafell Pike in England and Snowdon in Wales, within a 24 hour time frame. Our team, named G.I.9, for reasons that may become apparent to the more cryptically astute of my readers, finished first. And our time of 18 hours 23 minutes surprised everyone, especially ourselves. In doing so we raised about five grand for Cancer Research in the memory of our dear friend Peter 'Conrad' Jones. It was a day we'll never forget.

Finally, and most importantly, on this day eleven years ago, my godson George Dyson was born. He starts High School in September. I still remember the days when he used to let the snot run so far out of his nose he could lick it! My, where has the time gone?

Happy Birthday George!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first anniversary in oz.
Im impressed doing the 3 peaks, that is well impressive, ive scar fell pike and that just about killed me lol when i was a kid.
Hope the future reamins good for you and your family
Mandy xx

Lyndsey said...

George said Thankyou, he had a great birthday and got some lovely presents.
1 year already,everyone here still misses you all, but of course we are all wishing you well.
Love you
Lyndsey
xxxxx

Lyndsey said...

oh lord, please find some better photo's next time....he will be pleased when he sees that.