Monday, November 26, 2007

Meet The Parents

I had a day out at Wodonga races this weekend with my 'first' Aussie mate, Fridgey.

Aside from the flies and poor horse selection, we had a good day.

It's a small racecourse, reminding me very much of Bangor-on-Dee at home, which is just how I like it - no queues, plenty of room, not-extortionate beer and food pricing. All in all, a lovely place. All the ladies dress up to the nines and the blokes get to wear their scruffs, which is also just how I like it.

They hold meetings throughout the year and the next one, on Boxing Day, is regarded as the biggest and busiest. We plan to go with my mum and dad, who arrive this Wednesday evening at half-eight local time for a two month stay.

We left home on July 23rd, little over four months ago although it seems like much, much longer. It feels closer to a year to me. Oddly enough though, it only seems like yesterday that I said goodbye to my folks - to my mum in the conservatory of their house and to my dad, with a firm, manly handshake in the Esp.

It'll be great to see the old duffers and we've got a few things planned for their stay. My dad and I have got tickets for the second day of the cricket test match between Australia and India down at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and we'll be spending the New Year in Sydney. We'll visit the local wineries too and take them around the region's attractions, including Wodonga races.

I hope my mum behaves.

1 comment:

Lyndsey said...

Hope you have a great time with your mum and dad, i know they are looking forward to their stay. As for Hilda behaving, well !!!