Monday, January 01, 2007

The Boys in the Royal Blue Jerseys

Would you adam and steve it? My birthday wish came true! Everton walloped Newcastle 3-0! Three goals scored by the home side at Goodison Park is very much a rarity these days so for it to occur on my birthday was a nice touch. The only downside of the event was the fact that we didn't get to see the game. We traipsed around Rhyls sodden streets in a vain attempt to find somewhere showing it. As it turned out no one was showing it because, for once, Evertons game was the only one not featuring on anyones satellite feed.

Never mind, I had an enjoyable birthday, drinking with my oldest friend Weeble. We called into our old haunt 'The Barrell', formerly the town centres premium watering hole. It's had a re-fit in an attempt to restore it to its former glories, returning to it's old name and layout after a couple of name changes and attempts to turn it into a nightclub. It was quite fitting that we dropped by yesterday on my last birthday in town. We had spent a good portion of our misspent youth in this place and we reminisced as we sat there. Two other members of the 'old guard' came in whilst we were there and , although we never knew them that well, we gave them the nod and said 'hello' just like in the good old days when I had a fringe.

Tonight is New Years Eve of course and for the first time in nineteen years I won't be going out in fancy dress. Rhyl has traditionally been Party Centraal on NYE with virtually the entire town donning costume for the night. It was almost compulsory in days of yorn but over the years the tradition has sadly been on the wane. Even I shan't be bothering tonight as I've been void of any idea what to dress up as really. I can't keep putting one of the wifes dresses on - people will suspect. I was going to do Borat in his Kazakh speedos but decided it would be too cold and a bit on the obscene side as well.

So tonight we're going as ourselves as, I'd imagine, many other people will. I hope the tradition continues and becomes what it was once again, for it was a truly memorable period in the history of Rhyls nightlife.

On that note, wherever you are and whatever you do tonight have a good one. Blwyddyn Newydd Da i chi gyd! Happy New Year to you all!

No comments: