Sunday, February 08, 2009

Victoria Burns

As I type, fires rage all over Victoria and many Victorians are battling for their lives and the lives of others.

The death toll currently stands at 35, but will surely rise. Hundreds of homes have been lost.

There's a fire burning around Beechworth, where I work, only 40kms from here. I've been called into work as many of my colleagues are involved in the struggle to subdue the flames that threaten their property and their lives.

The skies above the Dong are grey with smoke and the smell of burning is ever present outside.

The CFA firefighters will be doing it tough. The temperatures haven't really dropped as predicted so no real respite looks possible anytime soon.

I've recently joined the service as a volunteer firefighter and many of the CFA staff involved in my training will be on the front-line today, tonight and tomorrow.

May God protect them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

robbie says when are you running for the woodonga mayor post?

Anonymous said...

when is the elections for the aussie prime minister position? Get your name down kid

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you and yours are ok. It worried me a lot when i saw the fires.
Stay safe
Mandy