Monday, October 13, 2008

From Pools To Porridge


In exactly one weeks time my former apprentice/understudy/lacky, Neil Wynne, arrives in Australia.

He's in the enviable position of having a one year working visa to explore this great land. He plans to find some work locally and, in between jobs, have a good old mooch around the joint. He wants to do the normal touristy 'stuff' like visit Ayers Rock, the Barrier Reef and get around the state capitals, of course, but, in staying with us, he will also get the opportunity to experience life in 'country' Australia, something many tourists miss out on.

I'll be able to spend the entire week showing him around his new environment, which will be nice, as I've missed the little fella since we've been over here.

I finish my current job as a pool technician this Friday and have a free week before I begin the training for my new role as a prison officer with the Department of Justice.

It'll be a bitter sweet experience as I really have enjoyed what I've been doing for the last ten, or so, months. Working outside in mainly brilliant sunshine doing all sorts of jobs involving domestic and commercial pools has been, quite literally, a real breath of fresh air. I work with a great bunch of people, who I'm sure I'll miss. But, I'm also pretty excited about my new role and the challenges that it will bring.

Additionally, I'll be earning quite a few more beer tokens which, naturally, means quite a bit more beer. Can't be bad!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the job change.
Sounds very interesting.
Mandy

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new career.

Been reading since before you moved out here, but don't comment much!